—Coregeek Cosplay shared this awesome build of Dancing Groot with us! Take a look at what they built!
My family and I saw Guardians of the Galaxy opening day! We all agreed Groot and Rocket stole the show. (They had a great Han and Chewy vibe going.) By the time sprout Groot (baby, sappling?) showed up dancing at the end, I was hooked! I knew I had to build one.
Here’s my work in progress (WIP). Sorry I didn’t take a lot of photos. I get involved in a project and forget to stop and take them.
For reference I used a recorded screen shot from the film. I wanted to make him in the pose where he is “frozen” during the dancing. For this post, I couldn’t find the actual one I used. This photo is a bit clearer in quailty than the best I could find only a day after the film was released.
I’ve been working with Worbla lately, and I decided Worbla’s semi-rough texture would make great tree bark.
I started with the face and made a backing out of EVA foam and covered that with Worbla. I wasn’t totally satisfied with the shape (or lack there of) but thought it was good enough to press forward. The main body “stick” is also made from scrap Worbla.
His overall shape is tapered so I added various thickness craft-foam then “smoothed” the transitions with hot glue. The upper parts of the arm are wooden dowels. I wanted them to have a little more strength.
This is where I neglected to take photos. I first added many pieces of scrap Worbla strips and covered the full body, to simulate bark. Then I made several Worbla “vines” and attached those for the added dimensions. I situated them to wind up around his arms and create his fingers.
The Worbla face was really bugging me and seemed more creepy than cute when compared to the source photo. So I did a little surgery.
I reworked the face with Apoxie-Sculpt and felt it captured the character much better. I haven’t done much sculpting so I enjoyed the practice. The Apoxie-Sculpt allowed me to add more detail which made me much happier.
I primed the Worbla with a couple coats of Shellac then painted with 3 shades of brown acrylic.
The matching pot is a cut down yogurt container panted white.
Thank you for reading if you got this far. Not a super technical build but it was fun and I’m quite happy with the results.
You can find me on Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr where I often post WIP’s of props and cosplay I’m working on.
—Thanks again to Coregeek for sharing this build with us!