Detailed Wonder Woman Breastplate

Texie Jo Cosplays shared the following tutorial on her Wonder Woman costume with us.

So, here’s how I made my Wonder Woman breastplate!

Cling Wrap
Masking Tape
Acrylic Paint
Heat Gun
Needle and thread
Styrofoam ball about your cup size
Craft foam
I tried to take as many pictures as possible, but I will explain as much as I can!

The Breastplate

Take your worbla, heat it up and fold two squares on top of each other. This will reinforce the worbla so it doesn’t separate when you shape it.

Next, cover your Styrofoam semi-circle in Vaseline. Then, heat up one square and shape it to the semi-circle.
Cut off the excess, wait for it to cool and remove it from the orb. Do this one more time with the other square!
Now you have you boob-cups!

Now, where do we put these? I’m glad you asked. Put on whatever bra fits you best and wrap your chest up in cling wrap, then, cover the cling wrap in masking tape. You should be able to draw on the pattern you want for your breastplate onto the masking tape, or get help from a friend! Cut yourself free of your cling wrap restraints and cut out the pattern you’ve just made.

Transfer it onto craft foam and worbla. I used the technique you can find here for how to reinforce these sections.

Heat up the bottom of your boob cups and stick ‘em on to their designated areas of the base! Now for the details in worbla!

I used scrap pieces of worbla (You are saving those, right?) to make each individual feather, The breastplate alone has over 200.

I individually heated and placed each feather. Start with the lowest level of feathers and place on top until you get to the top. Once I got there, I cut a strip of worlbla for the top laid it on there. The lining of the base is very simple, you measure what you need,cut it out of worbla, heat it up and place it where you want it to be!

After this, I coated it in wood glue as a primer and added the lower levels of the breastplate.

There are stars on the lower levels and I made them by cutting two small squares of worbla and a star out of craft foam and sandwiching the craft foam between two layers of worbla. I used a straight edge to make the sides look tighter.


I didn’t take nearly enough photos of this process but here is what I can tell you.

First, I covered the lower level in three coats of hard, sandable gesso, and sanded them smooth. I don’t have a photo of that on the breastplate, but here’s what that looks like on the tiaras:

I covered whatever I didn’t want to be gold in masking tape, took the sucker outside and spray painted everything else gold. I let it dry, came back inside and removed the making tape and painted everything else red.

You can stop here if you like how that looks, but I chose to add some shading to it. To shade, I used a dark brown and got under the feathers, you can move the paint with your fingers and it usually ends ups looking pretty good. I shaded anywhere I thought there should be a shadow with dark brown, very sparingly, and then on the red sections, mixed red and brown together and dabbed that on around the edges of the brown shading!

To fix this to myself, I sandwiched craft foam and wonderflex, fed it through a D-ring and placed it where I wanted the velcro to run across on either side of my back. The velcro is half hook and half loop so that when you fold it over, it will catch. This holds really well for me! If you’ve got any questions on anything, ask me and I’ll do my best to help!