Chrix Design shared this detailed writeup covering the Chest Plate, Leg Armor, Pauldrons, Helmet, Shield and Bracer, and Crossbow of her Demon Hunter from Diablo.
This have to be the most iconic piece of this armor and I wanted to make sure the looked badass – The pauldrons.
Again I would use worbla, but I wanted to see if I could make the base out of cardboard and then cover it up with worbla and details afterwards. Also on the larger pauldron I needed to make horns and a mean skull face. All this without making the shoulders too heavy (as mentioned before, I’m weak and don’t want to carry more than I need).
I covered a balloon with paper mache and added details with cardboard.
When it had dried I added details in foam.
Tha pauldron has several indents, created by just cutting away some of the cardboard.
When done I covered it up with worbla, bringing out the foam details as I go along. I used a small wooden stick to press down the worbla (e.g. a pencil or chopstick. I started on the top and worked my way to the sides.
All wrapped up
Thin strips of worbla was added along all edges to create dimensinon.
Under the pauldron there are a couple of smaller armor pieces which were made much like the leg armors, by covering foam with worbla and shaping ot over a ball.
This a part of the leg armor
Large pauldron with horns
With the larger pauldron I had a little more touble to the the basic shape. But same method by using paper mache over a balloon and adding foam details in layers was essentially used.
To get more depth to the mouth.
Starting to cover it with worbla.
Here I just used a blunt pencil to press in the worbla and bring out the details
For the skull piece I first made the form out of clay, then used that as a mold to shape the worbla, so I would end up with a light weight shell.
A hollow skull shape
I filled the space with tin foil to help keet the shape up while I added the rest of the worbla.
Before we move on with the skull details we need some horns. I build a basic grid out of cardboard.
Filled that with expanding foam
And carved out the shapes.
To be able to get the horns off the pauldron when needed, I added bolts to the horn base. Then I could screw them in place when needed.
I used all my small left over pieces of worbla for teeth. The pieces were heated and shaped.
Priming with gesso and glue, since I needed to get this peice pretty smooth.
More testing with the chest piece I made earlier.
I needed a small piece under this shoulder also.
Painting will be covered in a seperate tutorial eventually.
Until then, enjoy the full effect of these enormous shoulders, I have to go sideways though the doors in our apartment.